ALDINGBOURNE COMMUNITY SPORTS CENTRE
Registered Charity No. 276055
Minutes of the Trustee’s Meeting of 13th September 2009.
Meeting started at 18:35pm
John Leahy (JL), Jon Vinsome (JV), Alan Johnson (AJ), Mike Burton (MB), Dennis Leonard (DL), Linda Fromont (LF), Helen Wright (HW), Tom Tappenden (TT), Bill Warwick (BW) John Penfold (JP).
2 Election of Officers
Chairman Jon Leahy Proposed MB, seconded JV
D/Chairman Alan Johnson Proposed JL, seconded HW
Secretary Mike Burton Proposed HW, seconded DL
Treasurer Jon Vinsome Proposed JP, seconded BW
All Officers to the charity were returned unanimously
3 MINUTES OF THE 9TH AUGUST 2009.
The minutes were accepted as correct Proposed DL, seconded HW.
4 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE 9TH AUGUST 2009
Matters arising from the Minutes of the 14th June
2 Election of Officers –Dealt with
3 Litter Bins –MB Still awaiting a response from ARUN
ACTION POINT – MB
Quote for plumbing and pipe fitting - HW still ongoing
ACTION POINT HW
10 Recommendation to Committee re Utilities – JV Ongoing
ACTION POINT JV
Obtain quote re electrical work from Steve Grubb
Deferred to Correspondence
17 Letter to go to UG’s re attending first aid course-MB Ongoing
ACTION POINT MB
MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES OF 9TH August 2009.
9 Chairman’s Report
Obtain hire charges from other local halls-HW Done
Letter to ASC re cleaning tables – MB Done see correspondence
11 Contact with absent Trustees re vote on grant for Modular Building Project-
Not required due to Planning Permission refusal by ARUN
14 Letter to TT re ‘use’ of Civil Engineer member – MB Done
15 Contact Caravan Club re date- HW Done
Contact Harry re Insurance Claim-JV/MB Done
Contact resident at 38 Olivers Meadow re tree-MB Ongoing
ACTION POINT MB
New tables-JV Done Tables due 17/09/2009.
Item 15 Corres. with Mrs. De La Cruz and JP over the children’s play area
Item 16 Letter to ARUN re litter Bins
Item 17 Letter to ASC re cleaning hall tables after use
Item 18 Quote for new hall tables
Item 19 E-mail to ARUN re Oak tree pruning
Item 20 Letter from ASC re no future 18th Birthday tests
Item 21 Letter from ASC re closure of barrier to car park
Item 22 DATE PROTECTION ACT register Entry Report
Item 23 List of electrical works required at the centre
Item 24 Letter to ASC acknowledging 18th Birthday Party letter
Item 25 Letter to ASC acknowledging ASC letter Re Barrier
Item 26 Quote for electrical works (Item 23)
Item 27 Letter from Sime Darby Re LEC site Invite to apply for S106
Item 28 E-mail to PC, Richard Beresford requesting meeting re S106 and funding of Children’s play area
Item 29 Report from JL re ‘PLAYGROUND RENOVATION PROJECT’
Item 30 Grant Application to WSCC JDAC re benches
6 BARNHAM TROJAN’S PITCH FEES PROPOSAL
DL declared an interest.
JV stated increases in line with other users had been agreed in addition it was also agreed that the Trojans would , on behalf of the Charity would manage the Felpham Beach Football Team using the main pitch on Sundays. It was agreed they would charge an amount for the hire of their equipment and maintenance of the pitch.
The total fee was agreed at £1890.00
Proposed AJ, seconded HW. Unanimous vote in favour
7 ACSC WEBSITE
JV stated the site was nearing completion. He informed the meeting that the site was linked to that of the PC and all user groups. Its existence would be advertised in the local shops and via the Parish magazine.
JP stated he thought it could be beneficial to include the web address on all future media articles.
8 USER GROUP & HALL HIRE FEES PROPOSAL
JV informed everyone that a meeting of JV, JL and HW had been held on the 17th August 2009 during which it had been decided to simplify the system. The new system was to include ‘Peak’ and ‘Off Peak’ periods with separate rates that would only be discounted for Aldingbourne residents.
(A copy of the minutes of that meeting detailing the new hire charges is to be attached to these minutes)
There were discussions relating to a separate charge for weddings but these were dismissed as an unnecessary complication.
The new charges would come into effect as of 01/10/2009
The proposal to approve the new hire charges was made by DL and seconded by LF.
9 PUBLIC SESSION
No public in attendance
10 CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
JL thanked those Trustees and their partners who had been involved with thye children’s play area clean up. The area was looking in a much better state
He referred to correspondence item which was a small report he had compiled with regards to the outstanding work required. He had sent the report to various installers and manufacturers for quotes and further ideas and comments.
HW stated she had obtained some bark for the bark pits around the apparatus but not enough, she would continue to source the rest.
11 TREASURER’S REPORT
June 2009 accounts. Proposed MB, seconded HW.
July 2009 accounts. Proposed HW, seconded JP.
August 2009 accounts. Proposed AJ, seconded HW.
It was agreed the grant of £5,000.00 proposed for the new modular building project should be withdrawn in the light of the failure to obtain planning permission. This was agreed
JV stated he was concerned at the rise of approx. £1,750.00 in insurance costs whichis due to the increase value if the building and the claims we have made this year. He was awaiting quotes from other companies.
JV stated he was still awaiting a refund from British Gas.
12 SECRETARY’S REPORT
Deferred to agenda items
13. PARISH COUNCIL REPORT
JP stated that the new Clerk had started. He was Rod Cooper and was contactable via firstname.lastname@example.org The PC was also now up to 9 Councillors.
Les Paine, ex-Councillor, had proposed a plaque be dedicated to the late Bertha Watson for her tireless work for the parish; this had been agreed and the PC was minded to present a plaque to be installed inside the community hall.
MB had raised the matters of a regular maintenance grant for the children’s play area, the outstanding S106 money held by ARUN and the Charity and the PC forming a joint committee to deal with this. It had been agreed that this would be handled by the Chair of the PC Finance Committee Richard Beresford. JP had request MB to contact Richard.
JP stated he intended to visit the AiRS conference titled the Heart of the Village mainly about village hall funding.
JP stated that the WSCC Cabinet member for the RDPE (EC) Grants and grants administered via JDAC had asked to be advised of future grant applications regarding the modular building/Hopscotch.
14 MODULAR BUILDING/SIGNAL BOX
Signal box now on course to be moved on 6th December 2009. Soil Testing carried out last week once result in Bldg Regs application will be submitted and work on the base due to start by mid-October. Money situation still very tight enough for current part of project but more will be required for restoration
Modular Building planning application turned down by ARUN on two grounds Building out of character and use of public land with no replacement or reason for social need given. Planning Officer’s report at odds with Refusal also decision given at very last moment against all expectations. Advice sought which confirms reasonable grounds for appeal. Appeal has been prepared but on advice of new member of PC a further submission will be made to ARUN.
Not all grants withdrawn WSCC is still holding £20,000 and Lydsey has offered agreed to the project retaining their donation of £5,000.
Appeal need the support of the community; at least 30 letters of support needed.
15 BARNHAM TROJANS-LITTER
HW stated that after recent use of the football fields by both the Barnham Trojans and Felpham Beach over 40 bottles were left on the pitches. BT team manager approached who stated I was all down to the Felpham team HW asked DL to speak with the Team Managers again over this matter.
DL stated he would do so but was indignant that the BT teams were being cast as the culprits.
JL stated in lieu of the BT representative not being in attendance a letter would be sent to the BT and Pagham Beach Football Clubs.
ACTION POINT-MB .
16 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
a)MB – Request for a new net to be fitted to the basketball hoop
JL reported this was in hand as part of his report on the Children’s Play
ACTION POINT JL
b)MB – Raised the matter of volunteers to help dig out the small trench for the
electricity and water cables for the Tennis Club
JV volunteered 10am Sunday 18th Sept.
c)JP - Gave notice of the up-coming JDAC meeting and requested those that
could attend should with regards to giving objections to the allocation of
d)HW Raised the matter of the Caravan Club and possible cancellation due to
bad weather. The cancellation left the Charity with the possibility of no
booking for the hall. It was agreed all such bookings should in future be the
subject of a £100 non-refundable pre-booking fee.
e)HW Informed everyone that a local boy who attended the Irish Dance Group
had recently come 4th in a contest and was now entering the Great
Britain finals. He needed extra tuition. HW requested that such a use of
the hall should be given free as a support to the community. This was
agreed by all providing it did not incur on any other UGs use of the
facilities. Both parties to be informed
ACTION POINT HW
f)JV- Informed everyone that the solenoid which controls the flushing of the
gents toilets was broken. Unfortunately even though it was only fitted 12
months ago it was 10 years old and parts were now out of stock. A
replacement would cost £180 plus labour totalling £360 in all
Proposal made by MB, seconded by AJ to effect the replacement and
repair. This was agreed unanimously
ACTION POINT AJ
g) BW/HW Both offered to approach electrici and for further quotes for the
proposed electrical problems at the Centre
ACTION POINT HW BW
h) HW Replacment lights for the social club area, at £25 each, had been identified.
9 are required HW required the consent of the committee before approaching the
ASC to agree.
Everyone was in agreement.
ACTION POINT HW
i) MB informed everyone in accordance with previous discussions he had placed a
folder in the office to contain copies of all grant applications made on behalf of
j) JL raised the matter that with a new Parish Council Clerk perhaps the PC might
wish to consider, once more, the use of an office in the Centre
ACTION POINT JP
k) TT reported that on the 9th October an accident occurred at the Bowls Club and an
ambulance was called. Upon arrival the access way was blocked by a car illegally
MB stated he had been made aware of the matter but it appeared no one had taken
the vehicle registration or details of the driver. Incorrect parking had arisen
Previously and it had been decided it was everyone’s responsibility to approach
Drivers and ask them to park properly however perhaps signs were required for
This particular access way.
ACTION POINT JV/JL
l) LF raised the matter of next years Open Day. It was agreed now was the time to
start preparations. JV, HW, AJ JL to meet with LF
The meeting ended at 8:30pm