Minutes of the Trustees Meeting – 29th January 2012

By:
Posted: 29/01/2012
Category: Meetings , Regular Minutes
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Comments: 0


ALDINGBOURNE COMMUNITY SPORTS CENTRE


Registered Charity No. 276055



Minutes of the Trustees Meeting – 29th January 2012


 

Those Present:

 

Jon Leahy (JL), Bill Warwick (BW), Mike Burton (MB), , Linda Fromant (LF) Pete Austin (PA), Dennis Leonard (DL), Philip Pilcher (PP), Alex Gladman and Chris Blows (CB)

 

Chris Wright also attended on behalf on the Tennis Club

Roger Ayling attended on behalf of the Rifle Club.

 

Meeting opened at 6:30pm.

 

1.         Apologies        Jon Vinsome (JV), Alan Johnson (AJ), Tom Tappenden (TT),

 

2.         MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE 11th September-2011.

 

Minutes agreed correct Proposed PA, seconded DL

 

3          MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE 11th September-2011.

 

3.  Matters arising from Minutes 6th March 2011

 

8.  Chairman’s Report Discussion regarding hall hire fees set for next Agenda

 

ACTION POINT JL to inform relevant persons of meeting to discuss hire fees

ACTION POINT MB to place on next Agenda

 

14 JL stated Tony Dixon had resigned from the Signal Box Trust however the meeting had been conducted. Deferred to Item 17

 

18 c MB stated the lights on the side of the building have been fixed.

 

4          CORRESPONDENCE

 

            Item 140           Inv 21/9/11 from A Burrows

a) Fitting bargeboards and guttering to barn                                 £347.00

b) Applying anti-vandal paint to wall tops                         £288.00

c) Supply and fit stairs in new extn                                               £1364.00

 

Item 141           JHAI Bldg Regs Inspection Sheet containing requirements

 

Item 142           RSA Cert of Employers Liability Ins (Copy)

 

Item 143           Corrective/Maintenance Report Defensor Security annual check

 

Item 144           Letter 18/10/2011 from BRMRC – notification of planning application

To erect a porta cabin in the compound area

Item 145           Letter from ARUN DC Electoral Services Officer cancelling hire of the

Hall for elections on 3rd May 2012 and requesting new date of

15th Nov 12

 

Item 146           Duplicate Item 144

 

Item 147           Letter from ASC 26/10/11 stating opening hours over Christmas and New

Years

 

Item 148           Letter from ASC 26/10/1 requesting hire of the hall in 2012

 

Item 149           Letter from ASC 26/10/11 giving current opening hours

 

Item 150           Reply to ASC re Items 147, 148 and 149

 

Item151            Reply to Simon James re enquiry about using car park to sell fish and chips. Reply contains conditions for acceptance.

 

Item 152           Letter and conditions to Simon James re pitch for Fish & Chip van

 

Item 153           Conditions for use by Simon James ‘Coast to Coast Catering

 

Item 154           Inv REC10324 £532.80 for installation of lights in storage extn + e-mail

To Regis querying amount

 

Item 155           Inv REC10323 £60.00 Call out charge relating to broken plug socket in cellar room

 

Item 156           Letter from ASC re replacement of door architrave, Courtyard Cellar door

 

Item 157           Amended inv from Regis Electrical (Prev Inv 154)

 

Item 158           Inv Low Carbon Co Re light fittings for neon tubes

 

Item 159           Resignation letter – Linda Fromant

 

Item 160           Resignation Letter – Mike Burton

 

Item 161           Notice regarding ACSC’s involvement in the local organization of events related to the Olympics

 

 

 

5          PUBLIC SESSION

 

            No public in attendance

 

 

 

6          CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

 

No Chairman’s Report Given

 

 

7          TREASURER’S REPORT

 

            Treasurer not in attendance

 

 

8          SECRETARY’S REPORT

 

MB informed those present that the replacement storage container was now in place and in use, although it still required a second coat of paint.

The old caravan had been gutted and now only required some good weather to complete its demolition. He was looking at the forthcoming half term but more likely the Easter break for this work. A request for help would be sent round.

The replacement architrave for the courtyard cellar door was now in place.

There was an ongoing problem with a smell in the gents toilet. MB stated he believed the problem was foul water getting underneath the flooring. This would need to be monitored

MB stated he was concerned about the new low powered lights that had been installed in the toilets, hallway and committee rooms. Despite the bulbs having an 8 year guarantee every one had now been replaced. At over £8.00 each this also needed monitoring. In addition there had been complaints about the lights in the Committee room being too weak to see by.

In addition the stage spotlights were despite several efforts, still not working

 

 

9          PARISH COUNCIL REPORT

 

CB gave the meeting a ‘run-down’ on the events that the PC had been involved with over the last two months. He stated together with the Olympics, which the PC were now dealing with and also the forthcoming Jubilee celebrations the PC had a busy year ahead of them

The PC had meetings with ARUN in the near future they would then be looking for volunteers to help them with arranging local events. Currently they were also awaiting replies from local schools on several issues.

The PC were still looking for a Litter Picker for the village and were also currently sorting out problems with the newly designated allotment; it appeared someone had incorrectly ‘enlarged’ their garden  onto the site a matter which was requiring a deal of involvement to sort out.

 

CB reported that Aldingbourne had fared well in the recently released crime statistics for Arun.

.

 

 

 

 

 

10        PRESENTATION RE Planning application affecting the rifle range.

 

Roger Ayling, Chairman of the Rifle Club, presented drawings of the proposed extension to the range. He pointed out that the extension incorporated toilets. He outlined that previously the Club had worked on the idea of having a septic tank installed but in hindsight this was thought to raise a number of problems with size of tank and thereby the size of vehicles requiring access and the problem of access itself. The Club were now proposing to investigate the possibility of connecting to the main sewer in the area by the Barn.

There followed general discussion over this point after which it was thought that the suggestion had merit and the Rifle Club should pursue this course of action.

CB stated he would present this suggestion at the next PC meeting

 

A vote was taken recommending to accept the changes to the plans and sewer connection  Proposed CB Seconded MB. Unanimous vote in favour.

 

ACTION POINT CB to make a presentation to the Parish Council on behalf of the Rifle Club regarding their proposed extension and connection to the common sewer.

 

11        RECCOMMENDATION REGARDING FIRE PRECAUTIONS IN THE NEW EXTENSION   

12        FIRE SAFETY REPORT ACTION REQUIRED BY TRUSTEES?APPOINTMENT OF FIRE SAFETY OFFICER

 

            MB requested that Items 11 and 12 should be dealt with together was agreed.

In simple terms MB stated that on completion of the extension a number of recommendations had been made with regards to fire safety.; subsequently there had also been a fire inspection of the centre which also raised several issues. Involved with all these matters was the need to appoint a Fire Safety Officer who’s duty is would be to oversee the implementation of all these recommendations

JL called for a volunteer

A suggestion was made that Alan Johnson might be best suited to fulfill this role.

 

ACTION POINT JL to contact AJ

 

13        DOG FOULING/CONTROL

 

MB stated that he had attended the last PC meeting and given them an update on the current situation, It was that many dog walkers, especially the professional with several dogs now no longer visited. Fouling had decreased dramatically and the majority of owners were abiding by the notices to keep their dogs on a lead. However there were a dedicated few who were ignoring this request and one gentleman who continued to exercise his dog and telling everyone he wanted to be arrested.

MB stated that he hoped the PC would continue with the task of getting ARUN DC to adopt Olivers Meadow as a Dog Control Area thereby giving power to the Dog Warden

 

ACTION POINT CB to raise this point at the next PC meeting on behalf of the ACSC

 

14        OLYMPIC/QUEEN’S DIAMOND JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS -UPDATE

 

Covered above

15        TRUSTEES ROLES AND NOTICES OF RESIGNATION

 

JL referred to the items in the correspondence by MB and LF and that previously by JV of their intention to retire as Trustees. He thanked both for their service over the last 5 years plus and stated he intended to recognize their service at the AGM.

It was agreed that the Charity needed to advertise at once for a Secretary, Treasurer and Booking Clerk     

 

ACTION POINT MB to contact Parish Newsletter

ACTION POINT JL to create and distribute notice throughout the parish

 

16        SOCIAL CLUB REVIEW MEETING

 

JL stated that he and JV had met with Harry Hedges and Moira Waring. The ASC highlighted their accomplishments in redecorating the bar area and in the cellars.

However  there were concerns that due to a fall in membership and hereby sales the Club was financially in poor shape. Since the fact became apparent steps had been taken to address the issue and both membership and some prices had risen.

The ASC had obtained a financial force and as a result of this were requesting the ACSC to consider a reduction in rent.           

There was considerable discussion and whilst the general mode of the meeting was to assist the ASC it was generally agreed that if a rent reduction were agreed this would have to apply to all user groups as the Charity could not be seen to giving a particular group advantageous rates.

However it was decided that there were other methods whereby the Charity could assist the ASC to remain solvent, these might include a number of free nights use of the hall,

JL stated that in the absence of the Treasurer (JV) it would not be correct to agree anything as the end result may have serious repercussions for the Charity.

 

ACTION POINT JL/MB to liaise with JV and by use of e-mails etc propose some form of assistance for the ASC.

 

CB suggested that the PC may be able to assist the ACSC and thereby the ASC.
ACTION POINT CB to raise the matter at the next PC meeting

 

17        SIGNAL BOX REVIEW MEETING

 

            MB and PP declared an interest in this matter

 

JL stated a meeting with the Trustees of the Barnham Signal Box Trust (BSBT) had been held. The meeting was attended by himself and DL for the ACSC and John Penfold and Dave Ives for the BSBT, also present was MB to provide clarity on any point

MB and PP declared they both had an interest in this matter

 

Minutes of the meeting are attached

 

The recommendations as outlined in the minutes of the meeting of the 2oth December 2011 being that the ACSC would charge a Peppercorn Rent to the BSBT and that the BSBT would thereby except responsibility for the upkeep and management of the Signal Box were put to the meeting.. The matter was passed with the abstention of MB and PP

 

 

ACTION POINT JL to draft agreement for Peppercorn Rent

ACTION POINT MB to contact the PC for their approval of the matters agreed.

 

18        BOOKINGS

 

DL stated the BT intended to have an event on either the 20th or 27th May

 

ACTION POINT MB to contact Bowls and Tennis to confirm the best day for this event.

 

The following were agreed

 

Saturday  17th March    Children’s party 10-1pm  MB to cover

30th party 5-Midnt  JL open and close

 

Sunday  18th March         Free Charity event in aid of Bethany  MB to cover

 

Saturday 21st April          Party 6-Midnt  Next Meeting

 

19        DATE OF NEXT MEETINGS

 

            11TH MARCH 2012

 

20        AOB

 

1          JL asked those User group representatives present if they were in favour of a

Joint Open Day It was agreed this would be advantageous to all

 

ACTION POINT JL to follow this with an e-mail to all users and then arrange for the formation of a sub-committee.

 

AG stated the Rifle Club had recently held a charity shoot. They intended to hold an ‘Inter-Club’ shoot along the same lines

 

ACTION POINT AG to inform MB who will e-mail around all clubs

 

2          DL asked if the BTs could place a plaque for a colleague who had recently died in a car accident. It was agreed this had been one of the intensions of placing benches around the field-to engender some form of sponsorship.

ACTION POINT DL to raise the question as to whether the BT wished to dedicate a further bench

ACTION POINT MB to supply DL with details regarding bench purchase

 

3          LF raised the query about the Tennis Club extending into the children’s play area in order to provide space for a new and larger club house.

 

            ACTION POINT CB to raise this question with the PC at the next meeting

 

 

 

The meeting ended at 20.02hours

Hey, like this? Why not share it with a buddy?

Categories