Minutes of the Trustees Meeting - 13th December 2009

By:
Posted: 13/12/2009
Category: Meetings , Regular Minutes
Tags: , , , , , ,
Comments: 0

 



 


ALDINGBOURNE COMMUNITY SPORTS CENTRE


Registered Charity No. 276055



Minutes of the Trustees Meeting - 13th December 2009.


 

Meeting started at 18:40pm

 

Those Present

 

Jon Leahy (JL), Jon Vinsome (JV), Alan Johnson (AJ), Mike Burton (MB),  Linda Fromont (LF), Tom Tappenden (TT), Bill Warwick (BW) John Penfold (JP), John Wakeham (JW), Dennis Leonard (DL) and Helen Wright (HW)

 

1          Apologies

 

None

 

2          Minutes of the 8th November 2009.

 

The minutes were accepted as correct Proposed AJ, seconded JV.

 

3          Matters arising 8th November 2009.

 

Item 4 Correspondence

Letter to ASC re New Year Eve function sent. Deferred to item 14 of the

Agenda

Item 11 Schedule of works for the coming year

BW reported that a return pipe to the centre to carry away waste water was

not practical.

Hall Extension

MB stated obtaining quotes was someway off

JP reported that the response by the PC was somewhat luke warm. There

Was a reluctance to spend money on such a project at the moment

Item 14 Update new community building (Hopscotch)

MB stated he had asked about the possible use of the barn for the Pre-School

But was informed it was too small.

16 AOB

JV yet to engage with Todd Miller to conduct a site survey

 

ACTION POINT JV to approach Todd Miller to conduct a survey

 

4        CORRESPONDENCE

Item 51 User group and hall Hire Booking Charge Meeting 17/08/2009

Item 52 Corres. relating to Door Access System

Item 53 Letter to ASC re New Years Eve function

Item 54 Letter to ASC re setting date for annual review

Item 55 E-mail to all trustees from Sec. re placing order for stage curtains

Request to authorise expenditure in lieu of applying for a grant

Item 56 Letter from ASC re opening times over the Christmas period

Item 57Contract with Greenstar waste disposal

Item 58 Letter to PC giving details of projects and costs for coming year

Item 59 Minutes of ASC negotiations 19/11/09

Item 60 Corres from ARUN DC re tree pruning

Item 61 Record of Finance meeting held 18/10/09

Item 62 replies with regards to Item 55 above

Item 63 Copy JDAC application re stage curtains

Item 64 Quote from Sargeant’s Carpets re snooker room and copy application

to the PC for a grant to cover same.

 

5         PUBLIC SESSION

 

No public in attendance

 

 

6                    CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

            JL thanked MB and JV for their work in preparing the stage for the arrival of the

new back stage curtains. He also thanked HW for the refreshments laid-on for the

morning of the Signal Box move

 

7                    TREASURER’S REPORT

            JV informed everyone that it had been a good month. Due to refunds from both      

            JV stated he wished to ‘put aside’ the sum of £3,500 as a contingency for

repair/replacement of the boilers. This was seconded by AJ. The vote was

unanimous in favour of this proposal

            The accounts were proposed by MB, seconded by DL. The vote was unanimous

in favour of acceptance of the accounts

 

8                    SECRETARY’S REPORT

       

MB stated that further to the request he had sent round for support to employ an architect/surveyor, Tim Murray had been engaged. The plans and application for the new community building (Hopscotch) was nearing completion. The new design was of solid construction of block work with brick coynes, together with an apex roof. High quality insulation would be applied and build into the spec’ was the option for underfloor heating powered by an air heat pump converter.

In addition Tim was also drawing up plans to extend the hall to provide further storage.

Curtains for the rear of the stage had been ordered and the fixing of the curtain track was planned for this coming Tuesday

Two grant applications had been made during the month, one to JDAC regarding the rear stage curtains and one to the PC to assist in the carpeting of the snooker room.

The order for the benches had also been dispatched

MB stated he had attended the December PC meeting having, as requested written to the PC Finance committee to appraise them of the various ACSC project for the coming year together with estimates. He was somewhat disappointed at the reaction of the Finance Committee having gone to this trouble that it had been dismissed on the ground that only applications would be considered.

 

 

 

9                    PARISH COUNCIL REPORT

     

            JP stated the next PC meeting would be in February.

At the November meeting £500 had been donated to Aldingbourne Alive

The PC were in receipt of the two plaques for Bertha Watson. One

to be erected in the hall.

There was no further progress with the play area quotes for the work were

still awaited

The PC had shown no enthusiasm for a PC office at the centre

JV queried who was responsible for expenditure on the play area at the

moment. At the meeting with Richard Beresford Richard had stated the

PC would take over responsibility as of November.

 

ACTION POINT   JP to write to PC clerk for clarification

ACTION POINT JV to contact Mike Kennedy to stop grass cutting

 

MB asked if the responsibility and costs to cover the tree pruning of the

tree in the play area could also be referred to the Clerk if permission were

granted on the 31/12/09. JP stated that all documents should be passed to the PC

Clerk.

 

ACTION POINT MB to pass ARUN Planning documentation to the PC Clerk once  received

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10                ALDINGBOURNE ALIVE

LF reported that matters were ‘steaming ahead’. A potential licence

condition had been sorted out in the common sense had prevailed thanks

to the help of the Licencing Officer at ARUN.

SPIRIT FM had agreed to attend the event and to advertise it in advance

and had reduced their fee by 50% to £750 An advertising brochure had

been designed which will be delivered to 7000 houses

There was a user group meeting in January

 

11                BARNHAM TROJANS

       

            JV stated he had now received a list of cup games played but was concerned this

was not all the cup games played.

            DL stated the list mentioned was all the information he had so far

            He asked for any for any additional payments to be added to the normal

payments.

            DL also advised that the main pitch had an infestation of broad leaved plants

which was restricting the growth of the grass. He advised that the club would be

engaging Mike Kennedy to treat the ground at the end of the season, this would

result in the whole area being cordoned off.

Following from this there arose a discussion concerning the escalating problem of dog fouling on the site. The trustees discussed either charging dog owners to walk the site or banning them entirely. It was decided that MB and JV would in the first instance erect a number of notices if this failed to stop the problem, or a significantly reduce it then a proposal would be made to debate a total ban on all dogs.

 

12                SIGNAL BOX

 

MB stated that the box was still on jacks as the sills needed repairing, this meant that the new Barnham Signal Box Trust had not yet taken ownership. MB pointed out that one of the first things to be done would be to start on the landscaping but unfortunately this would not start until the ground started to dry out.

JV stated that no formal agreement had yet been made between the Charity and the Trust.

MB stated that he, JP and JW all needed to declare an interest as they were also trustees of the BSBT . Any negotiations would have to take place with Tony Dixon and Andy Ayling.

JL stated that the discussion would probably be conducted by himself and JV.

 

 

13                NEW COMMUNITY BUILDING

    

Covered in Secretary’s Report.

14        ASC  MATTERS ARISING FROM MEETING OF 19/11/2009

 

JL stated the unresolved issue of the stage bar being in the wrong place when compared to the plan drawing used as the basis for negotiation had arisen in conjunction with discussions around putting in a serving hatch for use by persons in the hall.

HW raised the point that building in a hatch would result in loss of space in the hall and would not be dig enough to cater for the need of 80+ people.

MB asked if anyone had obtained a quote to move the stage bar divider

 

ACTION POINT HW to obtain quote to move stage bar divider

 

JL also informed everyone that the ASC wished to increase the ‘licenced

area’ to cover the immediate area around the building. This was agreed

The matter of the New Years Eve function and the attendance of children

was raised.

HW informed everyone of the history of this problem in that the ‘adult’

act had been hired and originally the ASC committee had agreed no

children would be allowed. This decision had been reversed and had

come to light following informal talks in the club and a letter from the

ASC Secretary. HW pointed out that although children were now allowed

Not one child ticket had yet been sold. Arrangement had been made that

any children attending would be kept at the far end of the lounge and must

be supervised by their parent(s) at all times.

JL stated that many parents did not see the attendance of their children as

a problem. It had been stated that children could see worse on the TV at

home and that they thought it should be their decision if the attend.

MB pointed out that what a child was allowed to do in its own home was

irrelevant , different laws applied. This was a community hall under the

responsibility of the trustees. Everyone had a responsibility towards the

care and protection of children and as such we could not condone children

being in attendance when an ‘adult’ act was performing.

Following considerable debate it was resolved that in the light of there

being no policy with regards to ‘adult’ acts, even to the point of what was

an ‘adult’ act, that cancellation would lead to disappointment and that the

Chair of the ASC had offered to ‘police’ the arrangements on this occasion

the trustees would allow the use of the hall although they continued to

have concerns over the matter. Future use of the hall by anyone, ASC or

private hire, would have to be discussed.

It was agreed that a clause should be added to the hirer agreements so as

to make any hirer disclose what type of entertainment they intended to

provide.

 

ACTION POINT MB to write to ASC regarding licence extention

 

15         NEXT MEETING

 

10th January 2010

 

 

BOOKINGS

 

Sat 19/12/2009   JV to open

JL to close

 

02/01/2010   HW to cover

 

09/01/2010   JV to open

MB to close

 

ACTION POINT MB  to inform ASC no cleaner 01/01/2010 it will therefore be their responsibility to clean up.

 

 

16             AOB

 

a)

JL  stated control access readers had been changed but there were still

Problems.

 

ACTION POINT JL to seek further quote from Global Access and Defensor to

Replace system

 

b)

JL stated the hall would be 30 years old in the coming year. The question

of naming the hall had arisen.JL proposed in lieu of the considerable time

and work put I by AJ it would be fitting to name the hall ‘The Johnson

Hall’. This received a unanimous vote in favour.

 

c)

JP advised that JDAC looked like it would soon be disbanded with a loss

of the grants.

 

d)

JL stated that Hobden the Barnham estate agents had agreed to distribute

A brochure about the centre with their new buyers pack. A brochure was

Being prepared.

 

 

Meeting ended 8:23


 



 


ALDINGBOURNE COMMUNITY SPORTS CENTRE


Registered Charity No. 276055


 


Minutes of the Trustees Meeting - 13th December 2009.


 


Meeting started at 18:40pm


 


Those Present


 


Jon Leahy (JL), Jon Vinsome (JV), Alan Johnson (AJ), Mike Burton (MB),  Linda Fromont (LF), Tom Tappenden (TT), Bill Warwick (BW) John Penfold (JP), John Wakeham (JW), Dennis Leonard (DL) and Helen Wright (HW)


 


1          Apologies


 


None


 


2          Minutes of the 8th November 2009.


 


The minutes were accepted as correct Proposed AJ, seconded JV.


 


3          Matters arising 8th November 2009.


 


Item 4 Correspondence


Letter to ASC re New Year Eve function sent. Deferred to item 14 of the     


Agenda


Item 11 Schedule of works for the coming year


BW reported that a return pipe to the centre to carry away waste water was


not practical.


Hall Extension


MB stated obtaining quotes was someway off


JP reported that the response by the PC was somewhat luke warm. There


Was a reluctance to spend money on such a project at the moment


Item 14 Update new community building (Hopscotch)


MB stated he had asked about the possible use of the barn for the Pre-School


But was informed it was too small.


16 AOB


JV yet to engage with Todd Miller to conduct a site survey


 


ACTION POINT JV to approach Todd Miller to conduct a survey


 


4        CORRESPONDENCE


         


Item 51 User group and hall Hire Booking Charge Meeting 17/08/2009


Item 52 Corres. relating to Door Access System


Item 53 Letter to ASC re New Years Eve function


Item 54 Letter to ASC re setting date for annual review


Item 55 E-mail to all trustees from Sec. re placing order for stage curtains


              Request to authorise expenditure in lieu of applying for a grant


Item 56 Letter from ASC re opening times over the Christmas period


Item 57Contract with Greenstar waste disposal


Item 58 Letter to PC giving details of projects and costs for coming year


Item 59 Minutes of ASC negotiations 19/11/09


Item 60 Corres from ARUN DC re tree pruning


Item 61 Record of Finance meeting held 18/10/09


Item 62 replies with regards to Item 55 above


Item 63 Copy JDAC application re stage curtains


Item 64 Quote from Sargeant’s Carpets re snooker room and copy application


             to the PC for a grant to cover same.


        


 


5         PUBLIC SESSION


 


     No public in attendance


 


 


6                    CHAIRMAN’S REPORT


            JL thanked MB and JV for their work in preparing the stage for the arrival of the   


            new back stage curtains. He also thanked HW for the refreshments laid-on for the  


            morning of the Signal Box move


 


7                    TREASURER’S REPORT


            JV informed everyone that it had been a good month. Due to refunds from both      


            JV stated he wished to ‘put aside’ the sum of £3,500 as a contingency for


            repair/replacement of the boilers. This was seconded by AJ. The vote was


            unanimous in favour of this proposal


            The accounts were proposed by MB, seconded by DL. The vote was unanimous     


            in favour of acceptance of the accounts


 


8                    SECRETARY’S REPORT


       


MB stated that further to the request he had sent round for support to employ an architect/surveyor, Tim Murray had been engaged. The plans and application for the new community building (Hopscotch) was nearing completion. The new design was of solid construction of block work with brick coynes, together with an apex roof. High quality insulation would be applied and build into the spec’ was the option for underfloor heating powered by an air heat pump converter.


In addition Tim was also drawing up plans to extend the hall to provide further storage.


Curtains for the rear of the stage had been ordered and the fixing of the curtain track was planned for this coming Tuesday


Two grant applications had been made during the month, one to JDAC regarding the rear stage curtains and one to the PC to assist in the carpeting of the snooker room.


The order for the benches had also been dispatched


 MB stated he had attended the December PC meeting having, as requested written to the PC Finance committee to appraise them of the various ACSC project for the coming year together with estimates. He was somewhat disappointed at the reaction of the Finance Committee having gone to this trouble that it had been dismissed on the ground that only applications would be considered.


 


 


 


9                    PARISH COUNCIL REPORT


     


            JP stated the next PC meeting would be in February.


            At the November meeting £500 had been donated to Aldingbourne Alive


      The PC were in receipt of the two plaques for Bertha Watson. One


      to be erected in the hall.


      There was no further progress with the play area quotes for the work were


      still awaited


      The PC had shown no enthusiasm for a PC office at the centre


      JV queried who was responsible for expenditure on the play area at the


      moment. At the meeting with Richard Beresford Richard had stated the


      PC would take over responsibility as of November.


 


ACTION POINT   JP to write to PC clerk for clarification


ACTION POINT JV to contact Mike Kennedy to stop grass cutting


 


     MB asked if the responsibility and costs to cover the tree pruning of the


     tree in the play area could also be referred to the Clerk if permission were


     granted on the 31/12/09. JP stated that all documents should be passed to the PC    


     Clerk.


 


ACTION POINT MB to pass ARUN Planning documentation to the PC Clerk once  received


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


10                ALDINGBOURNE ALIVE


    


      LF reported that matters were ‘steaming ahead’. A potential licence


      condition had been sorted out in the common sense had prevailed thanks


      to the help of the Licencing Officer at ARUN.


      SPIRIT FM had agreed to attend the event and to advertise it in advance


      and had reduced their fee by 50% to £750 An advertising brochure had


      been designed which will be delivered to 7000 houses


      There was a user group meeting in January              


 


11                BARNHAM TROJANS


       


            JV stated he had now received a list of cup games played but was concerned this    


            was not all the cup games played.


            DL stated the list mentioned was all the information he had so far


            He asked for any for any additional payments to be added to the normal  


            payments.


            DL also advised that the main pitch had an infestation of broad leaved plants     


            which was restricting the growth of the grass. He advised that the club would be


            engaging Mike Kennedy to treat the ground at the end of the season, this would


            result in the whole area being cordoned off.


Following from this there arose a discussion concerning the escalating problem of dog fouling on the site. The trustees discussed either charging dog owners to walk the site or banning them entirely. It was decided that MB and JV would in the first instance erect a number of notices if this failed to stop the problem, or a significantly reduce it then a proposal would be made to debate a total ban on all dogs.


 


12                SIGNAL BOX


 


MB stated that the box was still on jacks as the sills needed repairing, this meant that the new Barnham Signal Box Trust had not yet taken ownership. MB pointed out that one of the first things to be done would be to start on the landscaping but unfortunately this would not start until the ground started to dry out.


JV stated that no formal agreement had yet been made between the Charity and the Trust.


MB stated that he, JP and JW all needed to declare an interest as they were also trustees of the BSBT . Any negotiations would have to take place with Tony Dixon and Andy Ayling.


JL stated that the discussion would probably be conducted by himself and JV.


 


 


13                NEW COMMUNITY BUILDING


    


            Covered in Secretary’s Report.


14        ASC  MATTERS ARISING FROM MEETING OF 19/11/2009


 


JL stated the unresolved issue of the stage bar being in the wrong place when compared to the plan drawing used as the basis for negotiation had arisen in conjunction with discussions around putting in a serving hatch for use by persons in the hall.


HW raised the point that building in a hatch would result in loss of space in the hall and would not be dig enough to cater for the need of 80+ people.


MB asked if anyone had obtained a quote to move the stage bar divider


 


ACTION POINT HW to obtain quote to move stage bar divider


 


            JL also informed everyone that the ASC wished to increase the ‘licenced


            area’ to cover the immediate area around the building. This was agreed


              


            The matter of the New Years Eve function and the attendance of children


            was raised.


            HW informed everyone of the history of this problem in that the ‘adult’


            act had been hired and originally the ASC committee had agreed no


            children would be allowed. This decision had been reversed and had


            come to light following informal talks in the club and a letter from the


            ASC Secretary. HW pointed out that although children were now allowed


            Not one child ticket had yet been sold. Arrangement had been made that


            any children attending would be kept at the far end of the lounge and must


            be supervised by their parent(s) at all times.


            JL stated that many parents did not see the attendance of their children as


            a problem. It had been stated that children could see worse on the TV at


            home and that they thought it should be their decision if the attend.


            MB pointed out that what a child was allowed to do in its own home was


            irrelevant , different laws applied. This was a community hall under the


            responsibility of the trustees. Everyone had a responsibility towards the


            care and protection of children and as such we could not condone children


            being in attendance when an ‘adult’ act was performing.


            Following considerable debate it was resolved that in the light of there


            being no policy with regards to ‘adult’ acts, even to the point of what was


            an ‘adult’ act, that cancellation would lead to disappointment and that the


            Chair of the ASC had offered to ‘police’ the arrangements on this occasion


            the trustees would allow the use of the hall although they continued to


            have concerns over the matter. Future use of the hall by anyone, ASC or


            private hire, would have to be discussed.


            It was agreed that a clause should be added to the hirer agreements so as


            to make any hirer disclose what type of entertainment they intended to


            provide.


 


ACTION POINT MB to write to ASC regarding licence extention


 


15         NEXT MEETING


 


          10th January 2010


 


 


         BOOKINGS


 


         Sat 19/12/2009   JV to open


                                    JL to close


 


                02/01/2010   HW to cover


 


                09/01/2010   JV to open


                                     MB to close


 


ACTION POINT MB  to inform ASC no cleaner 01/01/2010 it will therefore be their responsibility to clean up.


 


 


16             AOB


 


a)


JL  stated control access readers had been changed but there were still


 Problems.


 


ACTION POINT JL to seek further quote from Global Access and Defensor to


Replace system


 


          b)


          JL stated the hall would be 30 years old in the coming year. The question


          of naming the hall had arisen.JL proposed in lieu of the considerable time


          and work put I by AJ it would be fitting to name the hall ‘The Johnson


          Hall’. This received a unanimous vote in favour.


 


           c)


           JP advised that JDAC looked like it would soon be disbanded with a loss


           of the grants.


 


           d)


           JL stated that Hobden the Barnham estate agents had agreed to distribute


           A brochure about the centre with their new buyers pack. A brochure was


           Being prepared.


 


 


Meeting ended 8:23



Hey, like this? Why not share it with a buddy?

Categories