Minutes of the Trustees Meeting – 11th September 2011

By:
Posted: 11/09/2011
Category: Meetings , Regular Minutes
Tags: , , , , , ,
Comments: 0

 

ALDINGBOURNE COMMUNITY SPORTS CENTRE


Registered Charity No. 276055


 Minutes of the Trustees Meeting – 11th September-2011.


 

Those Present:

 

Jon Leahy (JL).  Alan Johnson (AJ), Bill Warwick (BW), Mike Burton (MB), , Linda Fromant (LF) Pete Austin (PA), Dennis Leonard (DL)Tom Tappenden (TT), Richard White (RW) and Chris Blows (CB)

 

Meeting opened at 6:45pm.

 

1.         Apologies        Jon Vinsome (JV)

 

            Absent             Philip Pilcher

 

2.         MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE 17TH JULY 2011

 

Minutes agreed correct Proposed DL, seconded AJ

 

3          MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE 17TH JULY 2011

 

3.  Matters arising from Minutes 6th March 2011

 

17 AOB

DL stated the installation of air bricks was still ongoing

 

JL asked if the work could also include the installation of airbricks in the kitchen wall, by the door, where the old fan had been removed.

 

ACTION POINT DL to report back on progress at next meeting (11/12/2011)

 

16c

JL stated the matter of the contract with Defensor had been dealt with. The contract had been renewed.

 

4          MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE 27TH JULY 2011

 

            PA to be added to the list of those in attendance

 

Minutes agreed correct Proposed DL, seconded AJ

 

5          MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE 27TH JULY 2011

 

            None

 

6          CORRESPONDENCE

 

Item 129 Corres with Chubb regarding charges for visits following attempted break-in on       18/7/2011

Item 130 Letter 18/7/2011 to Defensor re cost of maintenance charges

Item 131 Reply from Defensor re alternative charging schemes Ref Item 130

Item 132 Letter from ARUN DC re potential booking of hall for elections 3/5/2012

Item 133 Invoice from Defensor re Maintenance charge

Item 134 Quote from A Burrows for installation of first floor in new extension

and repair of guttering on barn

Item 135 Quote from A Burrows for application of anti-vandal paint on low roof areas To supply and erect a decking area to the south face of the building

The four quotes on Items 134/135 were discussed a vote was taken with regards to approving the expenditure on completing the mezzanine floor in the new extension This was passed unanimously

Item 136 Quote from Defensor for addition CCTV coverage for the children’s play area on behalf of the PC.

Item 137 Letter to ASC thanking them for their cooperation in dealing with a ‘double-booking’ of the hall

Item 138 Copy of joint Grant Application by ACSC and PC, to ARUN Community Project Fund for £4000 towards increased CCTV for the refurbished Children’s Play Area

Item 139 Annual letter from Walberton Decorative and Fine Arts Soc. Re use of the car park for the annual visit.

 

7          PUBLIC SESSION

 

            No public in attendance

 

8          CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

 

JL reported that with thanks to Keith Hill the tiling in the kitchen was now complete although there remained some grouting to do as well as a small list of other tasks. He welcomed support with this; a list of tasks was pinned to the door.

The audio visual equipment was now installed in the hall and the Committee Room.

JL commented that over the weekend the wedding party had complained about the state of the ladies toilets prior to their guests arriving but overall had had a thoroughly enjoyable function, intended to use the hall for another forthcoming wedding and would recommend the hall.

JL stated although the hirers had cleaed up it was past 2am when he had cleaned the hall for the use of the Cycle Club starting 6pm that morning.

There followed a discussion on what could be done about cleaning after a function when there was another function early the next morning. It was agreed that it would be unreasonable to expect the cleaner to attend prior to 6am likewise it was equally unreasonable to expect a trustee to attend until 2am.

JL asked that such functions at the close should be attended by more than one Trustee. He reminded those present that they were all trustees and should share equally the responsibilities; if they were not prepared to ‘muck-in’ then they should ask within their user group if any other member would be willing to be a trustee. Without Trustees, who were willing to pull their weight the Charity would cease to function and the hall and centre would close.

The hire cost to a wedding was raised, MB stated this had been discussed earlier with reference to the completion of the kitchen. The cost of raising the hire charge for a

 

 

 

 

wedding to £250 which would include cleaning had been discussed and this clearly needed to be discussed further by the Executive. RW asked if this price was competitive with other halls in the area. MB replied that he believed it was but this was something which did need further investigation before any decision was taken.

 

ACTION POINT Executive members to discuss hirer fees for weddings

 

It was decided that the Booking Clerk should warn hall hirers when they applied to use the hall early in the morning following a party/wedding etc that the hall may need further cleaning.

 

9          TREASURER’S REPORT

 

            Treasurer not in attendance

 

It was agreed that the Secretary would request the Treasurer to produce a brief written report to be circulated to everyone

 

ACTION POINT MB to write to Treasurer submitting a report

 

10 SECRETARY’S REPORT

 

            No report given

 

11        PARISH COUNCIL REPORT

 

CB stated that the loan request, including the additional sum to complete the mezzanine floor had now been submitted.

Complaints were still being voiced by some councilors concerning the brickwork of the extension

The dog signs concerning dogs being kept on a lead were expected at the end of this week; these would be erected by Mike Kennedy

The playground should be completed by this coming Friday although there was some concern over the timetable for removal and replacement of the fences

CB stated he held a meeting with Defensor and the basics of CCTV coverage had been agreed. There was a concern about lighting. The cost was expected to be in the region of £5000 plus VAT.

He confirmed the PC and ACSC had submitted a joint grant application to ARUN for £4000

With regards to the recent planning application in Woodgate the PC had objected, it was also aware that ARUN would raise strong objections.

The farmshop site at Nyton had been bought by Mr Cole to prevent the sale of the area in ‘plots’ The PC believed the area in question was now in safe hands.

Lidsey Landfill site had applied to increase inert fill from 15,000 to 65,000 tonnes. This would mainly come from the new developments around Bognor and would be used to landscape the site prior to its closure in 2017

 

 

 

12        RECOMMENDATION TO MEETING REGARDING LOAN FROM PARISH COUNCIL

 

MB explained that the hall extension had been partly financed by a £16000 loan from the Parish Council. Repayment of this loan by the ACSC to the PC had been calculated into the PC’s finances.  The ACSC had agreed to repay the loan. It was now however apparent that term of the loan acquired by the PC were that they could not receive payment from a third party.

 

 

13        RECOMMENDATION BY THE OFFICERS WITH REGARDS TO CHARGES

 

MB recommended to the meeting that the Charity assist the PC in the development of the children’s play area by donating the monies from the recreation fund for the next five years.

 

Seconded PA  Unanimous vote in favour.

 

14        BSBT PEPPERCORN RENT AND RENTAL AGREEMENT

 

JL stated that this matter was ongoing. In the first meeting with representatives of the BSBT it was agreed a peppercorn rent would be charged, however the matter of who should control the letting and maintenance of the signal box was yet to be decided. A further meeting would be held

 

ACTION POINT JL to contact Tony Dixon and arrange a meeting

 

15        A) MEETING WITH PARISH COUNCIL

            B) DOGS ON LEADS

            C) ID CARDS FOR TRUSTEES

            D) UPDATE ON CHILDREN’S PLAY AREA CCTV ENHANCEMENT

 

MB explained that when meeting with the PC concerning the loan other matters had been discussed   Item B had already been discussed at 11 above

DL asked how enforcement would work. MB stated that as with dog fouling if anyone with a dog off a lead was identified i.e. as they were known or by car registration, this should be reported to the ARUN Dog Warden who would take appropriate action.

Item C ID Cards. This matter had arisen from the increasing number of challenges, especially by children, as to who we (Trustees) were and requests to see ID.

All trustees were requested to supply a photograph to JL who would produce a simple ID card  based on our letterhead.

Item D CCTV in children’s play area dealt with 11 above

 

16        BOOKINGS

 

            The following were agreed

 

Sunday 25th September Cycle Club 07:00-13:00 AJ to cover open and close

 

Saturday 1st October   50th Party 18:00-Midnt. MB to cover (PA suggested ASC could

Close as the hirer was an  ASC Member

 

Sunday 2nd October Cleaning-up 10:00-11:00. Possible cover by HH otherwise AJ/MB

 

Saturday 15th October  Caravan Club  13:00 (AJ to open) –Midnt (JL to close)

 

Saturday 5th November            MMD Quiz Night  18:00-23:00 MB to open and close

 

Saturday 12th November  HH 60th Party  MB/JL to cover

 

Saturday 10th December P Cook 40th Birthday .Opening MB.  Close JL/DL (MB to notify

times)

 

17        DATE OF NEXT MEETINGS

 

            11TH DECEMBER 2011

 

            11TH MARCH 2012

 

18        AOB

 

a) JL invited User Groups who might like to use the audio visual equipment to

contact him  within the next two weeks with a view to arranging a training

session to use the system.

 

b) CB informed all those present that the PC’s litter picker had retired. The PC

were looking to recruit someone; included in his duties would be cleaning of

the play area and opening and closing it

 

c) TT complained that the lights facing the Bowls Club were still not working

ACTION POINT MB TO CONTACT ELECTRICIANS

 

d) AJ reminded the meeting that the mezzanine floor to be erected in the new

extension should have suitable barriers

 

e) LF raised an issue with access cards

 

ACTION POINT JL TO FOLLOW UP WITH LF

 

f) MB asked that it be noted that there had been no litter left on the fields after matched. He thought the teams should be thanked for this effort.

 

The meeting ended at 19:50pm

Hey, like this? Why not share it with a buddy?

Categories